Troy’s favorite beaches around the world.
1. Manuel Antonio Beach, Costa Rica: Just a 3 hr drive south of San Jose is the Costa Rica beach of your dreams. Tropical forest of Manuel Antonio National Park, tumbling into the Pacific ocean. If you like to share your beach with wildlife spotting opportunities (monkeys, sloths, etcâ€¦) this is the place. At Manuel Antonio you experience the thrill of pounding surf and the quiet of peaceful coves.
2. Puerto Villamil, Galapagos: Isabela island is the largest island in the Galapagos, and the main town Puerto Villamil in the South is the location of the Galapagos longest stretch of beach. Continue along the beach away from town and you may feel like the only inhabitant.
3. Aero Island, Denmark: On this charming Danish island of rolling hills you will find peaceful beaches along the Baltic sea. The chances are, that if you take a walk on the beach, you will not even meet one person. Aero is also considered the sunniest island in Denmark, all the more reason to go
4. Lanikai Beach, Oahu, Hawaii: This mile long stretch of white sand beach is popular with families and water sports enthusiasts looking for a chilled out Hawaiian experience. Thanks to the offshore reef, the water are relatively calm for swimming and kayaking
5. Antiparos, Greece: Around the town there are 5 beaches within a 5 minute walk. Easy beach access, one of the many pleasures of the Greek Isles.
6. Salmon River, Idaho: Who says you got to the ocean to enjoy the beach. Raft the Salmon River and enjoy secluded beach camping and relaxation in the wild along this beautiful undammed river.
7. Morgans Rock Beach, Nicaragua: Just north of San Juan del Sur is the private beach at beautiful hotel property of Morgans Rock Beach. This secluded cove is perfect for a dip in the Pacific and for unforgettable sunsets.
8. Riviera Maya, Mexico: Yes, Mexico and beaches is no big secret. But the Riviera Maya, south of Cancun, trades the 24hr party scene for more tranquil beach experiences that can be had from high end boutique Hotel/Spas to more funkier and less expensive beachfront digs. Travel a bit farther south and enjoy the turquoise blue waters with the Mayan ruins of Tulum as your scenic backdrop (grab your sunscreen indulge your inner explorer).
9. Normandy, France: The beaches of Normandy are must for history buffs. Omaha Beach, Utah Beach, these names that will go down in history for the pivotal role assigned them by the allies during WWII. These beautiful beaches are testament to sacrifice, prepare to be moved by the experience.
10. Ipanema, Brazil: The girl from Ipanema had it right to stroll to this beach every day. Ipanema beach is a nexus for play, relaxing and socializing in next to nothing. Added benefit, you can access the beach via an instructor guided tandem glider from a nearby peak in Tijuca National Park.