While some visitors spend a day hiking the Inca Trail to reach Machu Picchu, this adventure includes a weeklong lodge-to-lodge trek along a path much less traveled but by many accounts, more scenic and exclusive than the Inca Trail itself.
- Acclimate with a hike to a spectacular glacial lake in Soraypampa
- Circle Humantay Peak taking in 360-degree views of the snow-capped Vilcabamba Range and Salkantay Valley
- Traverse lush bamboo forests, avocado orchards, and coffee plantations in Santa Teresa River Valley
- Hike Llactapata pass for jaw-dropping views (that most never see) of Machu Picchu from the Southwest
- Meet an Andean family and learn the culture and age-old traditions of the locals in Lucmabamba
- Watch the day break over Machu Picchu and explore the ruins with a private guide
- Take a well-earned a dip in a natural hot spring and enjoy a restful night’s sleep in the comfort of your enchanting mountain lodge
Photo: Hiker photographing the Salkantay Valley
Our trip to Peru exceeded all expectations. As a destination, the country is rich with sights, sounds, culinary delights and extraordinary culture. Atmospheric, top of the line hotels, great food and attention to detail and service throughout. I could not recommend this trip more highly.
Tissa Stein Petaluma, CA
7 days/6 nights
Day 1: Cusco/Limatambo/Marcoccasa/Soraypampa
Day 2: Soraypampa
Day 3: Rio Blanco Valley/Hauyraccmachay
Day 4: Collpapampa
Day 5: Lucmabamba
Day 6: Llactapata/Aquas Calientest/Machu Picchu
Day 7: Machu Picchu/Cusco
Nights 1 & 2: Salkantay Lodge & Adventure Resort
Located in the high Andean valley of Soraypampa, this resort sits at 12,795 feet above sea level. The lodge offers an outdoor Jacuzzi, cozy reading rooms, and 12 well-appointed private rooms.
Night 3: Wayra Lodge
Wayra Lodge sits at a 12,000 foot elevation in Huayraccmachay.
Night 4: Colpa Lodge
The Colpa Lodge sits at a 9,000 foot elevation in an open promontory at the confluence of three rivers. The outdoor Jacuzzi has prominent views of lush green mountains and a small village nestled in a valley below.
Night 5: Lucma Lodge
The Lucma Lodge is set in an avocado orchard and sits at an elevation of 6,600 feet. Here you'll have time to explore the small nearby village of Lucmabamba.
Night 6: Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel's private 12-acre cloud forest, inside the Machu Picchu Sanctuary, offers a scattering of cottages, streams, gushing waterfalls, gardens, and wild forest interspersed by stone pathways.
Start planning your next adventure now. See the information below for the rates and selection of available dates. For additional information on dates and availability, please contact our travel specialists.
- 7 days/6 nights
- Next Departure: Call (800) 575-1540
- From $2,990 / person