The Black Hills of South Dakota: a family-friendly oasis of pine-clad mountains and prairie land, abundant wildlife, world-class national parks and a host of dedicated Rails to Trails bike routes.
- Walk in the footsteps of Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane, Wyatt Earp and Buffalo Bill in the Old West town of Deadwood
- Bike along an abandoned railroad through the heart of the Black Hills on the Mickelson Trail
- Hike the base of Mount Rushmore and visit the famed Crazy Horse monument (which, upon completion, will be 10 times the size of Rushmore!)
- Take a dip in the pristine waters of Sylvan Lake
- Explore the vast underground world of Wind Cave National Park
Photo: Mount Rushmore
Our adventure was everything that we had hoped for. The location, our guides and that special Austin Adventures touch made our vacation one that we will long remember and share with our friends.
Cory Kale Dallas, TX
6 days/5 nights
Rapid City, South Dakota (RAP)
Day 1: Rapid City / Sturgis / Deadwood
Day 2: Mickelson Trail / Custer
Day 3: Mount Rushmore / Crazy Horse
Day 4: Wildlife Loop
Day 5: Custer / Hot Springs
Day 6: Hot Springs / Rapid City (departure)
This modern boutique hotel, situated on a hill overlooking historic Deadwood, offers comfort in a rustic interior. Relax in the hotel's pool or hot tub, or enjoy a book by the stone fireplace, which stands two-stories tall.
Rich in history and natural beauty, Sylvan Lake Lodge holds the designation of Custer State Park's "crown jewel". This property features beautifully renovated lodge rooms and cabins, a lounge, a restaurant and an outdoor veranda which offers breathtaking views. The location of Sylvan Lake Lodge can't be beat, thanks to the design inspired by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. When the original lakeshore resort burned down in 1935, Wright suggested the current location amidst a forest of pine and spruce trees. Legion’s Lake Lodge sits directly on the water's edge. It's a choice spot for summer picnics, lazy days at the beach, and adventurous treks into the wilderness. The lake is named for the American Legion Post that once leased this land.
Start planning your next adventure now. See the information below for the rates and selection of available dates. For additional information on dates and availability, please contact our travel specialists.
- 6 days/5 nights
- Next Departure: Call (800) 575-1540
- From $2,198 / person
- ($580 single supplement) Children: $1,758 to $1,978