- > Why Travel With Us
- > Our Blog
- > Letter from Dan
- > Our Staff
- > About Dan Austin
- > Our Guides
- > Meet Our Guides
- > Philanthropy
- > Travel Planning Resources
- > Austin Adventures' Top Tens
- > Image Gallery
- > Adventure Videos
- > 2014 Preserve a Park
- > Webinars
- > Travel Journals
- > Our Equipment
- > Our Lodgings and Cuisine
- > Travel Professionals
- > Austin Adventures Reviews
- > Company Awards
- > Newsletter Archive
- > Employment
- > FAQ
- > Media Center
- > Our Partners
- > Local Bites
- > Refer a Friend
- > Namibia Conservancy Tourism Exchange
Top 10 Tips for Planning the Perfect Couples Getaway
By Kasey Austin
Jack chuckles as he recalls his last vacation with Linda. As a newly dating couple, their first weeklong getaway included a map with too few details, lost hotel reservations, and forgotten picnic lunches on several occasions. Linda even had a run in with a beehive and guess who forgot to bring the first aid kit?! Jack appreciates the memories now but remembers the stresses of the critical moments on what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation. Does this sound in any way familiar? Are you ready to plan the perfect getaway for you and your honey? Well, read onto discover some helpful hints on planning, preparing and playing on your next couples adventure!
1. Where Should We Go? What’s on your bucket list? What’s on your partner’s bucket list? Is there anywhere that you’veboth always wanted to visit? Write down your top 10 places you want to vacation and compareit with your significant other’s. Do your lists overlap? Can you meet somewhere in the middle?Choosing your destination is the beginning of an exciting process for creating the perfectvacation. What better way to bring you together as a couple than planning for an adventure inyour future? Whether you’re brand new to this or you’re a seasoned veteran to the planningprocess, choosing the perfect vacation can be a memorable experience.
2. Biking, Lounging or Both? Now you need to figure out what kinds of activities you both like to do. Do you enjoy cycling onyour weekends or would you both rather lounge on the beach with a good book? Maybe you liketo go the extra mile while she would rather pamper herself in the spa. Whatever activities youlike to do, there is a tour operator out there for you, waiting to fulfill your requests. Many touroperators create flexible schedules so that you and your significant other can choose the rightamount of activity for you in a stress-free environment. And we all know that the perfect couplesvacation includes the least amount of stress!
3. Been There Done That. Maybe you’ve already hiked through the Grand Canyon together or rafted the Pacuare River in Costa Rica. But have you ever biked in France along the banks of the calm Loire River? Can yousay that you’ve snowshoed through drifting white snowbanks while watching Old Faithful eruptagainst a frosty sky? Would you ever hike the Inca Trail to be rewarded with the stunning viewof Machu Picchu from the Sun Gate? Trying a new activity as a couple in a new destination canbe a rewarding experience for the both of you as you travel outside your comfort zone. The thrillof ziplining through a rainforest canopy will not soon be forgotten if you take a go at it together..
4. How Many is Too Many? Do you want to vacation with just you and your honey? Or would you rather join a group oflikeminded individuals with the same goals in travel as you? This is a question to ponder withyour significant other. Independent travel as a couple can be a romantic way to enjoy your one-on-one time together. Group travel is also a fun way to meet other couples and discover newexperiences. Whichever way you decide to go, you still get to spend quality time together andthat’s what really matters!
5. Time and Dinero- This is the fun part! What does your future time frame look like? Does she only get two weeksof vacation time a year? Does he not want to travel in the summer months when families crowdthe ideal destinations? How are you going to know when the “right” time is to travel? A tip forcouples: traveling in the offseason (spring and fall) can be a great (and cheaper) way to see someamazing destinations without the crowds. If you can’t make the offseason work for your timeschedule, no worries – there are many romantic pockets of busy destinations just waiting to bediscovered. As for dinero, make sure you and your significant other create a budget for travelthat you both feel comfortable with. Vacationing without overspending is a satisfying feeling that
will leave you and your other half wanting to travel again and again!
6. All the Factors- There are so many different variables that can become part of the vacation planning process butyou will want to center in on just a few so as not to get overwhelmed! Accommodations are a bigone. Do you want to sleep luxuriously in a four star hotel or camp under the stars on a cot? Therange of accommodations is endless and up to what you and your spouse feel comfortable with.Another variable to look at is climate. Would you rather race down the ski slopes on a winterwonderland vacation or bask under an African sun while searching for the elusive cheetah?Also, what types of terrain are you as a couple ready for? Hilly or flat? Rocky or smooth? Longor short? Looking at every single factor in the vacation planning process can be overwhelming.Tour operated trips can take the stress out of this variable planning process by giving youunlimited options in doing a vacation your way.
7. Google is Your Friend! Go ahead and research to your heart’s content. The great thing about Google is that typingin “Yellowstone” or “Couple’s Retreat” will pull up thousands of search results that you cannarrow down over a few days or a few months. Really, it’s up to you. How much time do youwant to put into creating the perfect vacation for you and your spouse? Do you want to createa vacation from scratch as a couple or would you rather find an all inclusive vacation package?As you begin your research on your ideal destination, you may find yourself quickly narrowingdown the possbilities. Afterall, you and your significant other have already talked about whereyou want to go and what you want to do – now go find it!
8. Ask around- Is there just too much on the Internet for you to sift through on your own? Talk to other couplesthat you know who’ve traveled before – they probably have some great suggestions. Also, a localtravel agent can help you narrow down your search. Tour operators can connect you with pastguests who can recommend a specific trip. The possibilities are endless – just get out there andask!
9. Working Out is… Fun did you both just sign up for that big bike trip in South Dakota that you’re not quite sure you’reready for? Why not work out together to prepare yourself for an active vacation? With ouralready busy schedules, it’s difficult to find time to go to the gym or even take a walk aroundthe neighborhood. Pledge to your significant other that you will do some sort of activity togethersay, three times a week for at least 45 minutes. Get those old bikes in the garage tuned up for aride along the local bike path. Take a yoga class together. Take the dog on a walk. Your workoutplan doesn’t have to be strenuous – just get out there together! You’ll feel better about yourself,your relationship, and your preparedness for your upcoming adventure!
10. Live It Up together! Take advantage of your time spent together on your vacation. Do things you never thought youwould do. Sneak a bottle of champagne out onto the balcony to enjoy a drink under the stars.Ride the last leg of the bike ride to get the best view of the sunset. Book that massage that youjust never seemed to have time for back home. Make your vacation as memorable as possible
because these will be the stories that you as a couple hold with you always. And don’t forget, it’snever too early to start planning your next vacation!
If you’re looking to plan the perfect getaway for two, start with these tips and see what you come up with. Begin thinking today about where you want to go tomorrow – the possibilities are endless! With a little planning and preparation, you can be sure to cash in on the perfect couples adventure. So go ahead, get started lovebirds!
Your friendly travel expert,