Today I want to talk about one of my favorite towns in the world, Jackson, Wyoming. With a population just under 10,000 and located just outside Grand Teton National, it is a prime location for adventurers. I was lucky enough to guide our Wyoming Family- Yellowstone/Teton adventure this past week, which starts and ends in the beautiful town of Jackson.
Some History on Jackson:
As part of the Hayden Expedition of 1871 and 1872, William Henry Jackson took the first photos of the Tetons and Yellowstone Park. Â His photos, along with paintings by Tom Moran, convinced Congress to protect Yellowstone National Park. Yellowstone National Park became the first National Park in 1872.Â Grand Teton National Park was created in 1920 and greatly expanded in 1950 by the generous efforts of John D. Rockefeller, who purchased and then donated over 30,000 acres.Â The Town of Jackson was named in 1894, Â some of the early buildings remain and can be found throughout the area of the town square.
What to do in Jackson:
1) Bike Antelope Flats, it is a great and easy ride! Enjoy the scenery with the Tetons in view the whole bike ride and make sure you stop by the T. A. Moulton Barn. Often referred to as the most photographed barn in America, I think the backdrop of the Tetons soaring up might have something to do with that.
2) Cable car ride, take the tramÂ to the top of Jackson Hole Resort for some amazing views!
3) Look Up! If you head to Jackson and don’t take the time to look at the stars over the Tetons, then you are missing out.
4) Yee Haw! Head on down to the Jackson Rodeo, experience a real wild west rodeo!
5) Jenny Lake, just outside Jackson sits this beautiful lake.Â The Jenny Lake Loop Road is about 5 miles long and can be easily accessed from the Teton Loop Road. There is also a 6.5 mile hike around the lake, which is a pretty flat and easy trail.
One more thing, I’m sure you’ll be hungry after all these activities… I recommend the Trio for dinner, they are an American Bistro with delicious cuisine. Save some room for dessert, the s’more pie is amazing!
That’s it, fiveÂ fun things to do in Jackson! Now all you need to do is go experience it for yourself! AustinÂ AdventuresÂ offers family and adult trips that show you the best of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Park. Check out our Wyoming Vacations.
Your friendly adventurer,