I bet you’re wondering why I’m writing about my top 5 reasons why I want to go to the GalÃ¡pagosÂ and not top 5 reasons YOU should go to the GalÃ¡pagos… That it is because traveling should always be about YOU and what YOU want to see and what YOU want to do. That is one of the many glories of traveling, seeing the stuff, things, people and places that you want to see and be apart of. So with out further adieu, here are my top 5 reason why I want to go to the GalÃ¡pagosÂ Islands.
1. Darwin- In 1831, Charles Darwin sailed to the GalÃ¡pagosÂ Islands in the HMS Beagle. It was the unique diversity of theÂ GalÃ¡pagosÂ Islands that sparked Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution. No where else can you see such a clear effect and role of evolution. Did I mention the 13 different spiecies of Darwin finches that still populate the islands?
2. Wildlife-Â TheÂ GalÃ¡pagos Islands might just be the best place on the planet to see wildlife in their natural habitat. TheÂ GalÃ¡pagos is home to an incredible mix of polar and tropical species of mammals, birds, reptiles and fish, many of which areÂ endemic to the islands. Where else can you travel that the wildlife gets up close and personal to investigate you, while you are investigating them?
3. Volcanoes- The 13 islands that make up theÂ GalÃ¡pagos were born from fiery volcanoes.Â I think all hiking vacations should include a trek up a volcano. Nothing competes with climbing up the slope of a volcano, reaching the apex, at looking over an impressive caldera!
4. Cruising- Â There is just something about cruising the open ocean on a yacht! But that’s not the only way to cruise theÂ GalÃ¡pagos.Â You can also cruise the islands by kayak and experience the rich shores and reefs of these islands.
5. The Boobies-Â You knew it was coming… But it is true, the GalÃ¡pagosÂ is home to three different species of boobies. The Blue-footed booby, Red-footed and the Nazca booby. The awkward walking, the endearing dance, the name… what’s not to love?
Let’s hope we both get there!