Latin America Vacations
Costa Rica | Life is Good Adventure | Adult Only
8 days / 7 nights
Activity LevelActivity levels are subjective depending on your general level of fitness and your experience; however, all of our trips are self-paced.
Pura Vida – “pure life” – this isn’t just a saying in Costa Rica, it’s a way of life! Not surprisingly, Costa Rica has been named one of the happiest countries in the world, mostly because its inhabitants don’t stress and have a very relaxed, simple way of looking at life. This Costa Rica adventure whisks you off from the city to Pacific Coast beachside bliss. Explore one of our world’s most beautiful national parks alongside monkeys, sloths, and iguanas. Raft the pristine waters of the Savegre River, hopping out for a peaceful swim between rapids. Take in paradise from your beach chair, cocktail in hand, under the shade of a palm tree at Punta Islita. This beach-centric adventure will have you sighing Pura Vida as you truly discover the meaning of “Life is Good.”
Costa Rica is a paradise almost too good to be true! With almost 25% of the landscape preserved through a system of national parks and preserves, this tiny country is big on diversity. Our Life is Good Costa Rica vacation explores the country’s diversity by putting you in the middle of it. Explore the nocturnal world on a night hike through Fincas Naturales Wildlife Refuge, watching for creatures like armadillo and kinkajou. Relax on the cream-colored beaches of Manuel Antonio National Park, listening to the calls of howler monkeys. Cool off in swimming holes and under tropical waterfalls while rafting down the Savegre River. Center yourself with a private yoga class at your luxury accommodation before heading off to learn traditional Costa Rican cooking or mixing Costa Rican cocktails. Pura vida.
- Discover the beautiful grounds of Xandari Resort, a hidden gem on the outskirts of San Jose, featuring an onsite forest reserve, miles of walking paths, incredible landscaped gardens and an orchid farm
- Feel the sand between your toes as you stroll along the postcard-perfect beaches of Manual Antonio National Park
- Keep a watchful eye out for Costa Rican wildlife like Capuchin Monkeys, Spider Monkeys, Sloths, Black Iguanas, and Agoutis
- Paddle the class II and III rapids of the pristine Savegre River, stopping every so often to cannonball into the perfect swimming hole
- Opt for a horseback ride on the beach or a forest canopy zip line tour at your all-inclusive accommodation located on Guanacaste’s secluded Pacific coastline
- Sip a guaro sour in Punta Islita’s infinity-edge freshwater pool, reflecting on the fact that “Life is Good”
A few more reasons why you've gotta go:
Life is Good! This adventure is run in partnership with Life is Good allowing guests to connect with the outdoors and each other through a refreshed, positive outlook.
Monkeys: They're everywhere! There's nothing quite like seeing (or hearing) one leap from tree to tree right above your head.
Kick-back time: Get swept away in tropical bliss as you swim in the clear waters of a refreshing waterfall or walk in the surf along a white-sand beach.
San Jose, Costa Rica SJO
Liberia, Costa Rica LIR
Arrive at the San José International Airport and transfer approximately 20 minutes to your hotel for the evening. Once you arrive, there will be a brief orientation before you are free to settle in and relax. Enjoy a farm-to-table dinner on your own tonight at Xandari’s Terrace Restaurant.
San José / Quepos / Fincas Naturales Wildlife Refuge
This morning, head out to explore Xandari’s beautiful grounds with your guide. •Xandari is truly a hidden gem just outside the city and the property features a forest reserve with five waterfalls and miles of trails for birdwatching, landscaped gardens, an orchid house, and a farm. After a pleasant morning at your hotel, begin your transfer to the beach town of Quepos (approx. 3 hours plus stops).• Along the way, we’ll eat a typical Costa Rican lunch at a local home.• Check-in to your accommodation, Si Como No and relax poolside for the afternoon. • At nightfall, we embark on a two-hour jungle hike at Fincas Naturales Wildlife Refuge where we will explore a nocturnal tropical wet forest. • Keep an eye out for more than 30 nocturnal species including kinkajou, armadillo or even…snakes! • Tonight, enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
Quepos / Savegre River
Today, we enjoy an exciting rafting trip down the Savegre River, one of the most pristine rivers in the country featuring class II and III rapids perfect for adventure seekers. This full-day adventure includes a four-wheel drive journey on backroads to a very remote area where you will enter the Rio Savegre’s meandering waters. Along the journey, we stop at great swimming holes and cascading waterfalls. Keep an eye along the riverbanks for commonly seen birds such as osprey, egrets, parrots, toucans and much more. Lunch will be eaten along the river and dinner tonight is at a local restaurant.
Quepos / Manuel Antonio National Park
After breakfast, we shuttle a short distance to one of our favorite national parks: Manuel Antonio • In 2011 Forbes Magazine compiled a list of the twelve most beautiful national parks from among nearly 7000 parks around the world. Manuel Antonio was included in the list of twelve top parks for its gorgeous cream-colored beach, the lush forest growing to the beach edge, abundant wildlife, warm Pacific waters, easy forest trails, and scenic ocean overlooks. Walking the park trails you will likely encounter a variety of wildlife including squirrel monkeys, capuchin monkeys, sloths, black iguanas, and agoutis. We’ll enjoy lunch at a nearby restaurant and spend some quality time at the beach this afternoon. At sunset, we’ll head to Ronny’s Place to enjoy their famous white wine-and-vodka sangria and aperitifs, looking at incredible views as the sun sinks over the ocean horizon. Tonight’s dinner will be back at the hotel.
Quepos / Punta Islita
Wake your body up today with an optional yoga class or take advantage of more time beachside. Enjoy lunch in town before a short transfer to the Quepos Airport. Wave goodbye to Manuel Antonio as your private charter flight takes you to Punta Islita (approx. 50-minute flight). Upon arrival at Punta Islita airstrip, transfer to your accommodation for the next three nights, Hotel Punta Islita. This unique and authentic hotel’s incredible natural setting and 300 acres property provide endless opportunities for everything from soft-paced adventure to intense adrenaline activities. Spend the next several days exploring the property and its host of activities, relaxing at the one-of-a-kind infinity pool or heading down to the coast to catch some beach time. Tonight, we meet up at dusk to discover the creatures that hang out in the area sans sunshine. Dinner at the hotel’s restaurant.
This morning, we head to Corazalito Beach to look for hatchling turtles climbing their way out of their sandy nests. This is the beginning of an epic journey for these babies and watching their struggle to the sea is an experience that can’t be replicated. Next up: zip lining through the forest canopy while crisscrossing a deep canyon promising spectacular views and a generous rush of adrenaline. Enjoy lunch beachside before taking part in a fun cocktail mixing lesson with an expert bartender. This afternoon, enjoy some free time by kicking back at the infinity pool or catching some rays at the secluded beach. Tonight, we meet up for a special dinner at a local home, complete with marimba music.
Opt to rise early for a birdwatching experience with your guide. After breakfast, you can choose between a yoga class aimed to relax, energize, and cultivate your blissful inner balance, or a peaceful horseback ride along the beach. Midday, we make our way to a large Ficus tree nearby where we’ll enjoy an outdoor picnic lunch and a chance to climb to the tree’s lofty lookout. Spend your last free afternoon in Costa Rica taking advantage of the resort’s amenities, activities or experiences – what you do is up to you! You might also just want to relax oceanside. Tonight, we meet up as a group to enjoy one last farewell dinner at La Argentina Steak House.
Punta Islita / Liberia
A private shuttle will take you from the hotel to Liberia International Airport for your flight home (approx. 2.5 hours).
*Trip itineraries are subject to change without notice due to road, weather and other factors outside of our control, for the safety and enjoyment of our guests, as deemed necessary and appropriate by Austin Adventures.
Arrival & Departure
Your trip begins with your arrival in San José at Costa Rica’s Juan Santamaría International Airport. After passing through Immigration, take the right hand side exit door and look for the Sun Tours representative who will direct you to customs. When you leave the building after clearing customs, look for a Sun Tours representative, who will be holding a sign that says “Costa Rica Sun Tours” with your name on it. Your guide will take you to Xandari Resort. Your trip ends with a drop-off at the Liberia airport three hours prior to your flight departure.
- Hiking: Guided 1 to 3 mile hikes through rainforest and along the beach, during the day and at night.
- Whitewater Rafting: Class I to III rapids on Savegre River, no experience necessary. A professional guide will provide instruction. Swimming opportunities available.
The hallmark of an Austin Adventures vacation is our exceptional dining. All meals are included as indicated by itinerary. (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner). Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities are not included in the trip price.
Included in Trip Price
- Double occupancy rooms with private baths.
- All meals as listed in itinerary: B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner.
- Fully trained, first-aid certified professional guides and knowledgeable local partners.
- Any necessary equipment – all safe and well maintained.
- Vehicle support and land transportation during the trip
- Domestic flight from Quepos to Punta Islita.
- Austin Adventures T-shirt, water bottle, luggage tags and luggage service.
- Pre-departure and packing information.
- Incidental expenses such as taxes, dining and housekeeping gratuities, local partner and expert gratuities and national park entrance and permit fees.
Not Included in Trip Price
- Gratuities to Austin Adventures guides.
- Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities.
- Dinner on Night 1.
- Extra activities not designated in itinerary.
- Pre-and post-trip accommodations and associated expenses.
- Air and land transportation to/from host cities.
- All types of personal insurance.
- Personal expenses.
- Activity levels are subjective depending on your general level of fitness and your experience; however, all of our trips are self-paced.1 Easy (1)
- Activity levels are subjective depending on your general level of fitness and your experience; however, all of our trips are self-paced.2 Moderately Easy (2)
"Life is Good" Expert
As Vice President of Operations at Austin Adventures, Kasey Austin can tell you the logistical ins and outs of every single trip. More than that, though, Kasey has lived and breathed most of the company’s featured destinations and will eagerly share her contagious passion for the transformational power of active travel. Kasey grew up in the adventure travel business; she knows the positive, lifelong impact of family travel, a quality that earned her the distinction of being named top family travel guide by Outside Magazine in 2014.