Additional Trip Information
Arrival and Departures
An Austin Adventures/Apumayo representative will meet you upon arrival at the Lima airport. Upon clearing customs, transportation to Hotel B in Lima’s Barranco District (1 hour transfer) will be provided. On Day 9 you will be transferred from the Palacio del Inka to the Cusco airport according to your morning or afternoon flight schedule. You will be met upon your arrival in Lima and assistance will be provided to the international departures terminal of the Lima airport. Please confirm with your airline provider if the Peruvian airport departure and tourist tax is included in your ticket. If not, this departure tax must be paid in U.S. dollars or Peruvian Nuevos Soles, as credit cards are not accepted.
– 1 to 2 mile city walks and ruins tours; 5-mile challenging hike on the Inca Trail (elevation gain of 2,000 feet). Mountain Biking
– 15 miles on dirt, moderately difficult. Horseback riding
– (Optional) no experience necessary. Whitewater rafting
– Class II and III rapids, no experience necessary. Discovery
– Crowned by the towering Andes and tucked between the Amazon and the Pacific, Peru offers a captivating mix of adventure, nature and history. Embedded in every active traveler’s Top Ten List is the great city of the clouds, Machu Picchu. Our route takes us there from bustling Lima, to the cobblestone streets of Cusco, from ruin to ruin across the Sacred Valley, and by train and breathtaking footpath over the Inca Trail. Catch a glimpse of the Andean Condor, a vulture with the largest wingspan of any land bird – 10.5 feet! Discover the colorful street markets, friendly people, and strong local culture of Cusco, the historic capital of the Inca empire. Photograph the myriad of salt pans in Maras as the sun reflects off the water’s surface, slowly evaporating and leaving salt in its wake. Delight in the traditional Peruvian dish of Pachamanca: lamb, mutton, pork, chicken or guinea pig, marinated in spices and baked with the aid of hot stones in an earthen oven known as a huatia
. Did you know that Machu Picchu is called “The Lost City” because when it was “rediscovered” by Yale explorer Hiram Bingham III in 1911, the jungle had literally swallowed the complex ruins? Even a knife blade can’t be inserted between the precise mortarless joints of the stones used in the building of Machu Picchu, and many of these stones weighed more than 50 tons! Come explore Peru with the experts in adventure travel! Your guides will take the time to explain the details of each activity, answer any questions and demonstrate the use of all equipment. Each activity has been carefully planned to include options for all levels. Most importantly, your guides will help you select the distance that’s right for you.
The hallmark of an Austin Adventures vacation is our exceptional dining. All meals: breakfasts, lunches, snacks, dinners, refreshments and receptions – except one dinner on your own – are included as indicated by the itinerary. (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner). Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities are not included in the trip price. Included in Trip Price
Not Included in Trip Price
- Double occupancy rooms with private baths.
- All meals from breakfast on day 2 until breakfast on day 9.
- Fully trained, bilingual, professional guides and knowledgeable local partners.
- Bikes, helmets and other necessary equipment - all safe and well maintained.
- Vehicle support and land transportation during the trip.
- Austin Adventures T-shirt & luggage tags.
- Pre-departure and packing information.
- Materials for school visit.
- Peruvian Paso Fino horses at Sol y Luna.
- Incidental expenses such as taxes, dining and housekeeping gratuities, & local partner and expert gratuities.
- Entrance fees to attractions in Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Inca Trail, Machu Picchu, & Huaynapicchu.
- Flights from Lima-Cusco-Lima (approximately $500 per person, depending on availability).
- Guide gratuities.
- Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities.
- Dinner on Night 1 during the trip.
- Pre-and post-trip accommodations and associated expenses.
- Air and land transportation to/from host cities.
- All types of personal insurance.
- Personal expenses.
After receiving your reservation and deposit, we’ll send you a pre-trip planner with general information about the area you’ll be visiting, a packing list, exercise guidelines, a guest information questionnaire and a liability release agreement for you to sign and return within 10 days.