Additional Trip Information
Arrival & Departures
Please plan on arriving at least one day prior to your trip departure. Day one of your itinerary starts at 8:00 or 8:20 am, depending on your hotel. Your trip ends with a drop-off at either the Rapid City airport (12:00 pm) or your Rapid City hotel (12:30 pm).
20 to 25 miles per ride, easy to moderate terrain on paved roads and Mickelson Trail (packed gravel). Hiking:
2 to 5 miles, easy to moderate terrain. Bear Butte – 1,025 feet of elevation gain over 2 miles (out and back). Swimming
: There will be several opportunities to swim in lakes this trip; but remember, weather is a factor and cold weather may prevent swimming from taking place. Rock Climbing:
3 to 4 hour climbing adventure on the granite rocks bordering Sylvan Lake. Gear and detailed instruction will be provided by professional rock climbing guides, ensuring you’ll feel comfortable, even if you’re a beginner. Discovery:
Few attractions stir the emotions of visitors the way Mount Rushmore does. Since its completion in 1941, it has joined the Statue of Liberty and the Stars & Stripes as one of America's most inspiring symbols of democracy. Can you imagine a nose on a person that is 20 feet long?! On Mount Rushmore’s presidents’ six-story tall heads, their rather large noses appear quite normal. Discover the enormity of the Crazy Horse Memorial, its past and present controversies, and the mountain carving’s historic significance at the Native American Cultural Center. Visit a herd of the friendly wild begging burros in South Dakota’s first and largest state park, Custer State Park. Descend into the depths of Wind Cave, the first cave designated as a national park and home to approximately 95% of the world’s boxwork formation. Follow the route of the 1890 Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad on the Mickelson Trail, keeping an eye out for wild turkeys along the way. Follow the steps of famous historic figures such as Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane, Jack McCall, and Seth Bullock in the Old West historic town of Deadwood. Come see all there is to do in the Mount Rushmore State! Austin Adventures guides are experienced facilitators and regional experts. They take the time to explain the local history, daily sightseeing, and route options. Each route has been carefully planned to include options to please each traveler’s interests. Austin Adventures guides are available to help you select the distance that’s right for you and to offer advice and assistance as you desire.
The hallmark of an Austin Adventures vacation is our exceptional dining. All meals: breakfasts, lunches, snacks, dinners, refreshments and receptions - except one dinner on your own - are included as indicated by itinerary. (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner).Â Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities are not included in the trip price. Included in Trip Price
Not Included in Trip Price
- Double occupancy rooms with private baths.
- All meals: breakfasts, lunches, snacks, dinners, refreshments and receptions, except one dinner on your own.
- Fully trained, first-aid certified professional guides and knowledgeable local partners.
- Bikes, helmets and other necessary equipment - all safe and well maintained.
- Vehicle support and land transportation during the trip.
- Austin Adventures T-shirt, water bottle, luggage tags and luggage service.
- Pre-departure and packing information.
- Incidental expenses such as taxes, dining and housekeeping gratuities, local partner and expert gratuities and national park entrance and permit fees.
- Gratuities to Austin Adventures guides.
- One dinner on your own.
- Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities.
- Pre-and post-trip accommodations and associated expenses.
- Air and land transportation to/from host cities.
- All types of personal insurance.
- Personal expenses.