Tanzania | Best of the Serengeti | Adult Only
Sunken volcanoes, a spectacle of wildlife, and sumptuous sundowners in the Serengeti
7 days / 6 nights
Activity LevelActivity levels are subjective depending on your general level of fitness and your experience; however, all of our trips are self-paced.
A trip-of-a-lifetime awaits! Pack your camera and sense of adventure for this small group, all-inclusive African safari in Tanzania. This East African country boasts the largest concentration of wildlife per square kilometer, and there’s no better way to experience the rich biodiversity, singular beauty and cultural fascinations of Tanzania than with the leading providers of best-in-class travel from Ngorongoro Crater to Lake Manyara and beyond. Travel through baobab trees, dense bush and high grasses in Tarangire National Park in search of elephants, tree-climbing lions, olive baboons and termite mounds. Espy wildebeest, zebra, eland and gazelles at Ngorongoro Crater, and spend a few days at Lake Manyara National Park, keeping on the lookout for its dizzying spectacle of over 400 bird species. All the while, enjoy the best in regional accommodations, delectable cuisine and Austin’s signature touch of inspired, thoughtful service as you indulge in the ultimate adventure of this exclusive African safari.
Serengeti National Park. Lake Manyara. Ngorongoro Crater. Each is a name synonymous with the best game-viewing on the planet. Step into a world of jaw-dropping scenery and prolific wildlife on this seven-day Tanzanian safari. Our expert guides handle every detail of this carefully-crafted itinerary, ensuring you have the best chances of experiencing up-close-and-personal encounters with some of Africa’s most iconic animals. At day’s end, indulge in the cozy comforts of fine wining, dining and ultimate relaxation.
- Listen for the calls of baboons, monkeys, and canopy-dwelling birds at Lake Manyara, where lush forests, grassy plains, and 1,800-foot cliffs play home to (among others) elephant, buffalo, wildebeest, zebra, giraffe, and the famous tree-climbing lion
- Soak up an awesome spectacle of leopards, cheetahs, jackal, hyena, aardwolves, serval cats, agama lizards, and rock hyraxes on the Serengeti Plain, one of the oldest ecosystems on earth
- Get up-close with black rhino, wildebeest, zebra, and eland on the floor of the ancient Ngorongoro Crater, a vast, 12-mile wide stretch of verdant plains, glistening lakes, and rolling mountains
- Wrap up your day with a “sundowner“ sipping cocktails as an orange sun sets over a baobab-flecked Serengeti horizon
A few more reasons why you've gotta go:
The Ngorongoro Crater: This geological phenom is the result of a three-million-year-old extinct volcano which experts believe would have been the height of Kilimanjaro had it not collapsed when it erupted.
The wildlife: One of the smaller parks in Tanzania, Lake Manyara National Park, is host to several animals, including giraffes and over 400 species of birds.
Did we mention the wildlife? The Serengeti is considered to be the best wildlife reserve in Africa. Keep your eyes peeled for the Big Five (lion, African elephant, cape buffalo, leopard, and rhinoceros)!
Kilimanjaro, Tanzania KIA
Kilimanjaro, Tanzania KIA
Jambo! • Upon arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, you will be met by a representative from Twiga Tours with champagne, wet towels, and some safari essentials • You’ll then be transferred to Tarangire National Park in time for lunch, leisure, and an afternoon game viewing drive in the park
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
After breakfast depart to the Ngorongoro Conservation area • Spend the afternoon relaxing at the lodge and enjoy the breath- taking spectacular views of the crater below, the largest unbroken caldera in the world • We’ll have dinner at the lodge and call it a night
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Today we’ll descend 610 metres into the crater, home to an abundance of wildlife for a full day of game-viewing drive with picnic lunch • You’ll see prides of lions, herds of Cape buffalo, impala, Thompson gazelles, rhino, giraffes, golden & black-backed jackal, zebra, cheetah, leopard and the spotted hyena all freely roaming the crater floor plains • Unmatched for its natural variety & breath- taking beauty, there are few places on earth where such a tremendous diversity of landscapes exist inside a region this size • Apart from its wildlife riches, the crater is also of great archaeological importance, with the remains of some of mankind’s earliest ancestors discovered in the area, also a home to hundreds of bird species, refreshing in the small lakes in the crater floor • Return to Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge to rest up for tomorrow’s travels
Serengeti National Park
Enjoy a sumptuous breakfast then depart for the Serengeti National Park via Oldupai Gorge, where hominid footprints believed to be 3.6million years old were found • We will enjoy an on-site talk on the interpretation of the gorge by the resident guide • After, we’ll arrive at the lodge for lunch and check in before heading out for an afternoon game viewing drive in the park • Covering an area of 14, 763 square kilometers, Serengeti National Park is Tanzania’s oldest park and one of the world’s greatest wildlife refuges • The Serengeti ecosystem supports the largest remaining concentration of plains game in Africa, including more than three million large mammals • We’ll head back to Serengeti Sopa Lodge in time for dinner and a quiet evening to prepare for tomorrow’s adventure
This morning we depart with picnic lunch boxes for a full day of game viewing drives on the vast Serengeti plains • In the early morning and evening light, the Serengeti landscape is stunningly beautiful • The Rolling plains and grasslands, stretching far into the horizons as far as the eye can see is home to the black-manned lion, the savannah elephant, the Cape buffalo, wildebeests, the elusive leopard, cheetah, the spotted & stripped hyena, the rhino, topi, burchelle’s zebra, the Masai giraffe among many others • Serengeti National Park is one that can never disappoint • One is spoilt by the variety of bird and wildlife species in this game reserve with game-viewing drives • Enjoy dinner and overnight at our lodge • Optional activity: Dawn Balloon Safari over the Serengeti Plains ending with a champagne breakfast
Lake Manyara National Park
After breakfast we’ll depart on a pleasant drive to Lake Manyara National Park, known for its’ tree-climbing lions and abundance of birds • Arrive in time for lunch and some leisure time before heading out for an afternoon game viewing drive in this small, but attractive park squeezed between the stunning Manyara soda lake and the steep rim of the rift valley • Return to the lodgings for dinner
After an early breakfast, head off on one last trip through the African savannah before driving to Kilimanjaro International Airport where you can make your post-trip connections.
Arrival & Departure
Your trip begins with your arrival at the Kilimanjaro International Airport near Arusha, Tanzania, where you’ll be met by a Twiga Tours representative and transferred to Tarangire Sopa Lodge.
- Hiking – Easy terrain, sightseeing walks accompanied by your guide.
- Game Drives – Bring your camera and a keen set of eyes as your guide drives you around the area surrounding your lodge in search of big game, small creatures, and interesting African flora, geology, history, etc.
The hallmark of an Austin Adventures vacation is our exceptional dining. Meals are included as indicated in the daily itinerary. (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner). Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities are not included in the trip price.
Included in Trip Price
- All accommodations as specified in the detailed itinerary.
- All meals as designated in detailed itinerary.
- Private-naturalist driver/guide as specified in the itinerary.
- Scheduled game drives and walking mentioned in the itinerary.
- Transfers and flights mentioned in the itinerary.
- Emergency evacuation insurance for guests under 70 years of age.
- Austin Adventures T-shirt & luggage tags.
- Pre-departure and packing information.
Not Included in Trip Price
- Any other extra/optional activities.
- Beverages other than those mentioned in the inclusive section.
- Air and land transportation to/from host cities.
- Pre/post accommodations and associated expenses.
- Tips & gratuities for guides, drivers, and lodge/camp staff.
- Airport taxes and security fees (taxes/fees must be paid direct at airport).
- Personal insurance.
- Personal expenses, laundry, and phone calls.
- Activity levels are subjective depending on your general level of fitness and your experience; however, all of our trips are self-paced.1 Easy (1)
- Activity levels are subjective depending on your general level of fitness and your experience; however, all of our trips are self-paced.2 Moderately Easy (2)
Want to know how to fully experience the depth of beauty and culture in a place? Ask Carol Austin. A Montana native who treasures the land and people in her own backyard—be it Yellowstone, the Beartooths, or the family around her dinner table—Carol knows how to embrace any destination she explores, a feat at 40+ countries and counting. And with more than 20 years in the travel industry, she’s really good at helping guests plan—and fully enjoy—their adventure vacation, too. She co-founded Austin Adventures with her husband, Dan Austin.