By: Marina K. Villatoro
Latin America may not be considered one of the most popular areas to visit. But that’s because not everyone is willing to give it a chance. My family and I have been exploring these amazing countries for years and I cannot imagine what my life would be like without ever coming here.
So, without further ado, here are some Must-Visit-Latin-America reasons:
1. The People – The genuine friendliness and smiles that greet you make such a difference in the way you experience the country. Latin America is very welcoming to famlies and kids. There are many places such as Peru, Chile, and Costa Rica that are great places family adventure vacations.
2. The Hotels – Hotels of Latin America will be glad to accommodate you and your kids. We normally stay at boutique, locally owned hotels, where it feels as though you are staying with caring friends. They love to help with the kids and most times, the staff takes your kids for a bit to have some fun with them giving you a needed break.
3. The Restaurants – We travel with an insanely picky eater, which makes eating out a challenge in any country. I’ve found that restaurants throughout Central America will do all they can for my son to leave with a full belly. And, if they are local eateries, you get great service, the owners’ kids willing to play with my kids and a nurturing, comfortable environment.
4. The Central Parks – These countries have a park for every occasion. The most common, and one you will find in every single village, town or city is a Central Park usually with a church at one end. Aside from really checking out the locals going about their daily lives, my kids get a chance to burn off energy and meet other local kids.
5. The Wildlife – Did you know that Costa Rica has over 5% of the world’s biodiversity! Along with lush rain forests throughout Central and Latin America come lots of friendly and not so friendly creatures. I call most of these countries, with fantastic wildlife reserves, Mother Nature’s playgrounds where kids get to play and learn about the local fauna.
6. Beaches – Another source of never-ending fun for families by far! If I have learned anything is that most kids are crazy about anything that has to do with water and Latin America has it on all sides with coral reefs, crystal clear waters, and amazing waves for surfing too.
7. Perfect Climate – I’m an NYC girl and trust me when I say this, the weather has everything to do with traveling to these countries, especially Central America. Guatemala is called the country of Eternal Spring, Costa Rica is the pure tropics – no wonder it’s paradise around here year round.
But don’t take my word for it, I dare you to check these places out for yourselves – you might never want to leave.