Get ready for a BBQ chicken recipe that your entire family will crave this summer season. Between the chicken, cheese, BBQ sauce, bacon and jalapeno…..this tasty favorite is great for every attendee at your backyard gathering.
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 10 fillets
- 5 jalapenos, de-seeded, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20 slices bacon
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- If using chicken breasts cut them lengthwise into thin fillets, each fillet will make one bomb.
- Pound the chicken fillets between parchment papers until about ¼ inch thin.
- Season each with salt and pepper.
- Wash jalapenos, cut stem off, slice lengthwise, remove seeds and clean out center
- Rinse jalapenos a second time.
- In a mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and cheddar cheese until well blended.
- Fill each jalapeno half with about 1 Tbsp. or little more of cheese mixture.
- Place filled jalapeno half, cheese side down on chicken fillets and roll chicken around jalapeno.
- It doesn’t always close the way you think it should. No worries! The bacon will pull it all together.
- Wrap 2 pieces of bacon (one at a time) tightly around the rolled chicken, start at one end, wrap half the fillet and finish the 2nd half with the other piece of bacon, and tuck bacon into itself to seal ends closed.
- You do not need toothpicks, because it all comes together in the cooking process.
- FOR GRILL VERSION :
- Preheat grill to 350 degree and place chicken bombs on the grill to cook over indirect for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Turn chicken bombs on the grill every 5 minutes to ensure it is cooking evenly, and baste with barbecue sauce each time you turn it.
- Just before the chicken bombs are done, baste one last time.
- Be sure chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- If you have a meat thermometer, chicken is ready when it reaches an internal temp of 165 F, otherwise pierce chicken bombs with a fork.
- When they are done, remove from the grill, let them rest 5 minutes or so and serve and get ready to hear some accolades because these babies are very tasty …