Kasey knows her hikes. Here are her favorites.
1. Mooney Falls, Havasupai, Arizona:Descend through caves, down ladders, and along anchored chains in the rock face as you wind your way down along the shoulder of a cliff with views of a spectacular 120 foot waterfall.
2. Exit Glacier, Near Seward, Alaska:Make your way up through several mountain ecosystems beginning with the cool shaded trailhead beneath cottonwood trees and making your way through alpine tundra up to “walking on the moon.” On a clear day, you can see for miles across the Harding Icefield and can see peaks jutting up out of the ice. You just may see a bear or two on this trail!
3. Wapati Trail, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: Beginning with a hike across an open meadow, this trail meanders through lodgepole pine forests, around chalky white geothermal features, and pops you out at the edge of the deep, colorful Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
4. Beehive Basin, Big Sky, Montana: The work to get up to Beehive Basin is worth the effort. A small unnamed mountain lake awaits you surrounded by open vistas, tall mountains, and SNOW!
5. Salkantay Trail, Peru: This is the “back way” to get to Machu Picchu by foot and the 40+ mile trail takes you through 15 different ecosystems. Plus, you get to spend the night in beautiful, luxurious mountain lodges along the way!
6. Athabasca Glacier, Alberta, Canada: Strap on the crampons for this guided glacier walk. Learn about glaciers up close and personal. Stare down into the abyss of a crevasse.
7. Angel’s Landing, Zion National Park, Utah: One of the most famous and thrilling hikes in the national park system. Those with a fear of heights may choose to pass on this hike. You’ll walk along a narrow ridge with drop-offs on each side and will pull yourself up a rock face by way of anchored chain. Don’t forget to ascend Walter’s Wiggles along the way!
8. Glen Navis, Scotland: voted “one of best short hikes in Great Britain”
9. From Fira to Oia on Santorini Island, Greece: Views of a blue expanse of ocean, bright white of the village walls, and steep cliffs. Birds-eye views throughout the hike.
10. Luguna Capri, Patagonia: Monte Fitzroy rises above the serene waters of Laguna Capri for a classic Patagonia view. There are a number of hillocks along the lake creating unique vantage points for photography.