Safe Travel with Austin Adventures
Are travelers and guides required to get tested or vaccinated before traveling?
- For International Trips (all destinations except the United States): All guests aged 13 years and above must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- For Trips in the United States: We welcome guests either fully vaccinated against COVID-19 OR willing to undergo a supervised Rapid Antigen Test at the commencement of their trip.
What can I do if I cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons and am traveling internationally?
Adults who cannot be vaccinated due to valid medical exemptions will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test result (official paper or official electronic record) showing the test was carried out within 72 hours of the first day of the trip.
Do I need to provide proof of my vaccination?
Yes. Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or negative test (where applicable) must be provided prior to the start of your trip (only official vaccination card or electronic record will be accepted) .
- Proof of vaccination or negative test must include identifying information (full name), as well as the vaccination or test dates.
- Proof of vaccination must demonstrate the final dose of the vaccine was administered at least fourteen (14) days prior to the first day of your trip.
- A negative test must be carried out within 72 hours of the first day of the trip.
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past three months, you must bring documentation exhibiting that you previously tested positive and have fully recovered from COVID-19. Depending on the destination, you may be required to test negative for entry.
Guests are required to upload proof of vaccination into their Travel Wallet prior to departure. If proof of vaccination or a negative test is not produced by the commencement of travel with Austin Adventures, the guest will not be allowed to travel with us. Guests will not receive a refund of any sums paid to Austin Adventures if this occurs.
What else should I know prior to traveling with Austin Adventures?
- Be aware that your temperature may be taken for screening purposes.
- Verify that you have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 21 days.
- Complete a self-assessment and verify you currently, or within the last 14 days, have not experienced any of the following:
- Temperature of 100.4 F/38 C or above
- Loss of taste or smell
- Breathing difficulties (other than from known pre-existing condition)
- Muscle pain (unrelated to a specific activity or incident)
- Sore throat
- Vomiting or nausea
- In the last 14 days, you have not been in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 or who has had any of the symptoms above.
Please also note:
- It is your responsibility to check the specific requirements of each country you are visiting, as regulations vary and change often. We recommend using the tool from CIBT above.
Are travelers and guides required to wear masks on all your trips?
You must wear a face–covering that fully covers both your nose and mouth when physical distancing is not possible or if regulations require you to do so. Your guides will let you know what is required based on current regulations.
Will you provide personal hand sanitizer or masks?
- Your guide will have extra face masks that can be given out as needed.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided and always available in the vans, but we encourage you to bring your own three-ounce hand sanitizer for flying to and from your pick-up destination.
- Personal, refillable Austin Adventures water bottles will be provided that are yours to take home.
What happens if I or someone on my trip starts experiencing COVID-19 symptoms?
- If a guest or guide has symptoms on tour (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea), they will be asked to take a supervised Rapid Antigen Test.
- If a guest tests positive for COVID-19 while on tour, they will be required to leave their trip immediately for a period of no less than 7 days. Guests are welcome to re-join the trip (where possible) upon presentation of a negative COVID-19 test after the 7-day quarantine.
- Note: Any such removal will be at the guest’s own cost. As such, we recommend Travel Insurance to help protect your investment from any unforeseen circumstances.
- If a guide tests positive for COVID while on tour, we will work quickly to ensure minimal disruption to the trip. We have an expansive international network that allows us to source suitable resources quickly and seamlessly.
Should I bring a supply of Rapid Antigen Tests?
We recommend you bring a personal supply of Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) in the event you need to test while on your trip, or to fulfil testing requirements to return home. A good rule of thumb is to bring 3-4 tests per guest for a weeklong trip. For our Nepal trips, we recommend guests bring 7 tests as altitude sickness poses similar symptoms as COVID.
How many people will I be traveling with?
On our scheduled departures, you’ll be traveling with a maximum group size of 12 or 18, depending on the destination. If you prefer to travel with only your group, inquire about an exclusive departure in which your group takes over one of our scheduled dates.
Will we be traveling in high-traffic, crowded areas?
Austin Adventures trips get guests off the tourist track whenever possible. However, since our itineraries do feature iconic sights and activities, there will be times where we may be around crowded areas and will have to wear masks if social distancing isn’t possible.
Will you help me get tested in another country so I can fly back to my home country?
Austin Adventures’ worldwide partners have been helping travelers navigate their resident countries’ testing requirements for months and have well-established procedures in place. If your flight departs within 24 hours of the completion of your trip, our team will ensure you have access to testing that’s required to travel back home.
Does Austin Adventures cover any on-trip testing costs?
Costs associated with in-country testing and delivery of results vary and are at the client’s expense.
What happens if COVID-19-related traveling requirements change while I’m on my trip?
Austin Adventures’ operation staff is constantly monitoring various U.S. government and international COVID regulations.
What happens if Austin Adventures cancels my trip?
We will do everything in our power to not postpone a trip within the 30-day window. In the unlikely event that Austin Adventures must postpone a trip due to federal, state, or local authority, governmental intervention, national park closures, or our own decision, we are offering the following policy:
- We occasionally may have to cancel any trip at any time before departure for reasons beyond our control, including if the minimum numbers required to operate the trip are not reached. If we do have to cancel your trip, you can transfer the fare to an alternate departure date for no additional fee or alternatively opt for a refund, including your deposit.
What exactly does travel insurance cover?
We advise you to contact your insurance company directly for coverage questions. Austin Adventures offers a guest protection plan through Redpoint that covers trip cancellation for medical reasons, trip delay, medical expenses, accidental death, lost baggage, and medical evacuation. Since so many guests purchase this plan, as a convenience, the cost is automatically added to your invoice. It’s effective on the day your premium is received in our office. Should you not be interested in our travel protection plan, simply deduct its cost from your final payment.
What happens if I test positive for COVID-19 days before my trip?
While we hope this doesn’t happen to you, we will ask you to not travel if you test positive for COVID-19 just days before your trip. The following policy applies:
- Cancelation 0-30 days before trip departure: No refund is given
- A cancelation will take effect from the date which Austin Adventures receives written notification of the cancelation. This cancelation policy includes voluntary or involuntary early departure from a trip. No refunds will be given for missed or unused services such as accommodation, activities or meals. We strongly recommend travel insurance which covers cancelation fees at time of booking.
Any deposits not transferred to future trips are non-refundable and will be forfeited. All refunds are less any non-refundable expenses incurred by Austin Adventures.
How will meals be served?
Amazing lunch spreads and snacks (most served outside) are a highlight of our trips and will still be provided with a few extra safety measures in place.
- Pre-packed picnic lunches and pre-plated meals will be provided when possible.
- If you are served a “buffet style” lunch, multiple guides will serve the lunch (with gloves on) to decrease the number of people who are touching utensils.
- Physical distancing in the “buffet line” will be maintained. In order to maintain sanitation, we might have to go against our own sustainability policies with the practice of using more single-use products.
- All surfaces touched by guests or guides during lunch (tables, chairs, etc.) will be thoroughly sanitized before being put back in the trailer.
Will your guides or lodging staff sanitize my room?
All of our hotels have been working around the clock to be ready for our visit. Rooms are being deep cleaned by staff between guests and round-the-clock cleaning measures are in place for public areas.
Do you have guidelines for transportation seating and sanitization?
Guests are advised to pick and stay in the same van and seats throughout the duration of their trip. Guides will clean high-touch surfaces throughout the day and disinfect the vans each night. In accordance with current national park rules, we are asking all guests to wear masks while riding in our vans.
Austin Adventures is especially grateful for the optimism our guests have displayed this past year, and we are looking forward to making more memories out on the trail.
All of us at Team Austin