Safe Travel with Austin Adventures
Are travelers and guides required to get tested or vaccinated before traveling?
As of Oct. 26, 2021, all adults over the age of 12 (i.e. 13 years and above) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before you can travel with us, for all trips in all destinations.
• Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination must be provided to us no later than the start of your trip. This must be your official vaccination card or electronic copy. We should be able to see your name as well as proof your vaccination(s) were administered no later than 14 days prior to the first day of your trip.
• For children who don’t qualify for vaccination, we’ll need proof of:
o A negative COVID-19 test result which shows the test was done within 72 hours before the first day of your trip, OR
o If you’ve recovered from COVID-19 in the last three months, you can provide documentation of recovery, which includes:
▪ a positive test result (within 3 months of your trip), and
▪ a letter from your doctor clearing you for travel
• For adults who cannot be vaccinated due to valid medical exemptions, we will need to see a negative COVID-19 test result showing that the test was done within 72 hours of the first day of your trip.
What else should I know prior to traveling with Austin Adventures?
Be aware that your temperature may be taken for screening purposes.
Verify that you have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 21 days.
Complete a self-assessment and verify you currently, or within the last 14 days, have not experienced any of the following:
- Temperature of 38 C/100.4 F or above
- Loss of taste or smell
- Breathing difficulties (other than from known pre-existing condition)
- Muscle pain (unrelated to a specific activity or incident)
- Sore throat
- Vomiting or nausea
- In the last 14 days, you have not been in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 or who has had any of the symptoms above.
Please also note:
- It is your responsibility to check the specific requirements of each country you are visiting, as regulations vary and change often.
- The above information applies only if you have no current COVID-19 symptoms prior to the start of your trip. If you experience any COVID-19 symptoms while you’re on a trip, you will need to seek medical advice immediately and may require a negative test to continue your trip.
Are travelers and guides required to wear masks on all your trips?
You must wear a face–covering that fully covers both your nose and mouth when physical distancing is not possible or if regulations require you to do so. Your guides will let you know what is required based on current regulations.
Will you provide personal hand sanitizer or masks?
- Your guide will have extra face masks that can be given out as needed and buffs will be given out to everyone at the welcome meeting.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided and always available in the vans, but we encourage you to bring your own three-ounce hand sanitizer for flying to and from your pick-up destination.
- Personal, refillable Austin Adventures water bottles will be provided that are yours to take home.
What happens if I or someone on my trip starts experiencing COVID-19 symptoms?
Anyone who is feeling symptoms of COVID-19 (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea) should let a guide know immediately so that we can transport you to the nearest clinic to be examined and tested. If you test positive, we will do our best to work with you to make a plan to quarantine you and your immediate family members to keep everyone else healthy.
How many people will I be traveling with?
On our scheduled departures, you’ll be traveling with a maximum group size of 12 or 18, dependent on the destination. If you prefer to travel with only your group, inquire about an exclusive departure in which your group takes over one of our scheduled dates.
Will we be traveling in high-traffic, crowded areas?
Austin Adventures trips get guests off the touristed track whenever possible. However, since our itineraries do feature iconic sights and activities, there will be times where we may be around crowded areas and will have to wear masks if social distancing isn’t possible.
Will you help me get tested in another country so I can fly back to the U.S.?
Austin Adventures’ worldwide partners have been helping travelers navigate their resident countries’ testing requirements for months and have well-established procedures in place.
Does Austin Adventures cover any on-trip testing costs?
Costs associated with in-country testing and delivery of results vary and are at the client’s expense.
What happens if COVID-19-related traveling requirements change while I’m on my trip?
Austin Adventures’ operation staff is constantly monitoring various US government and international COVID regulations.
What happens if Austin Adventures cancels my trip?
We will do everything in our power to not postpone a trip within the 30-day window. In the unlikely event that Austin Adventures must postpone a trip due to federal, state, or local authority, governmental intervention, national park closures, or our own decision, we are offering the following policy:
We occasionally may have to cancel any trip at any time before departure for commercial reasons beyond our control, including if the minimum numbers required to operate the trip are not reached. If we do have to cancel your trip, you can transfer the fare to an alternate departure date for no additional fee or alternatively opt for a refund, including your deposit.
What exactly does travel insurance cover?
We advise you to contact your insurance company directly for coverage questions. Austin Adventures offers a guest protection plan through TripMate that covers trip cancellation for medical reasons, trip delay, medical expenses, accidental death, lost baggage, and medical evacuation. Since so many guests purchase this plan, as a convenience, the cost is automatically added to your invoice. It’s effective on the day your premium is received in our office. Should you not be interested in our travel protection plan, simply deduct its cost from your final payment.
What happens if I test positive for COVID-19 days before my trip?
While we hope this doesn’t happen to you, we will ask you to not travel if you test positive for COVID-19 just days before your trip. The following policy applies:
- Cancelation 0-30 days before trip departure: No refund is given
- A cancelation will take effect from the date which Austin Adventures receives written notification of the cancelation. This cancelation policy includes voluntary or involuntary early departure from a trip. No refunds will be given for missed or unused services such as accommodation, activities or meals. We strongly recommend travel insurance which covers cancelation fees at time of booking.
Any deposits not transferred to future trips are non-refundable and will be forfeited. All refunds are less any non-refundable expenses incurred by Austin Adventures.
How will meals be served?
Amazing lunch spreads and snacks (most served outside) that are a highlight of our trips will still be provided, but with a few extra safety measures in place.
- Pre-packed picnic lunches and pre-plated meals will be provided when possible.
- If you are served a “buffet style” lunch, multiple guides will serve the lunch (with gloves on) to decrease the number of people who are touching utensils.
- Physical distancing in the “buffet line” will be maintained. In order to maintain sanitation, we might have to go against our own sustainability policies with the practice of using more single-use products.
- All surfaces touched by guests or guides during lunch (tables, chairs, etc.) will be thoroughly sanitized before being put back in the trailer.
Will your guides or lodging staff sanitize my room?
All of our hotels have been working around the clock to be ready for our visit. Rooms are being deep cleaned by staff between guests and round-the-clock cleaning measures are in place for public areas.
Do you have guidelines for transportation seating and sanitization?
Guests are advised to pick and stay in the same van and seats throughout the duration of their trip. Guides will clean high-touch surfaces throughout the day and disinfect the vans each night. In accordance with current national park rules, we are asking all guests to wear masks while riding in our vans.
Austin Adventures is especially grateful for the optimism our guests have displayed this past year, and we are looking forward to making more memories out on the trail.
All of us at Team Austin