Additional Trip Information
- Hiking - 1 to 2 mile city walks and ruins tours
- Mountain Biking - 19 miles on dirt, moderately difficult.
- Whitewater rafting - Class II and III rapids, no experience necessary.
- Discovery - Crowned by the towering Andes and tucked between the Amazon and the Pacific, Peru offers a captivating mix of adventure, nature and history. Embedded in every active traveler's Top Ten List is the great city of the clouds, Machu Picchu. Our route takes us there from bustling Lima, to the cobblestone streets of Cusco, from ruin to ruin across the Sacred Valley, and by train via the fascinating city of Ollantaytambo. Catch a glimpse of the Andean Condor, a vulture with the largest wingspan of any land bird - 10.5 feet! Discover the colorful street markets, friendly people, and strong local culture of Cusco, the historic capital of the Inca empire. Photograph the myriad of salt pans in Maras as the sun reflects off the water's surface, slowly evaporating and leaving salt in its wake. Delight in the traditional Peruvian dish of Pachamanca: lamb, mutton, pork, chicken or guinea pig, marinated in spices and baked with the aid of hot stones in an earthen oven known as a huatia. Did you know that Machu Picchu is called "The Lost City" because when it was "rediscovered" by Yale explorer Hiram Bingham III in 1911, the jungle had literally swallowed the complex ruins? Even a knife blade can't be inserted between the precise mortarless joints of the stones used in the building of Machu Picchu, and many of these stones weighed more than 50 tons! Come explore Peru with the experts in adventure travel!
Your guides will take the time to explain the details of each activity, answer any questions and demonstrate the use of all equipment. Each activity has been carefully planned to include options for all levels. Most importantly, your guides will help you select the distance that's right for you.
The hallmark of an Austin Adventures vacation is our exceptional dining. All meals: breakfasts, lunches, snacks, dinners, refreshments and receptions ”“ except one dinner on your own - are included as indicated by the itinerary. (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner). Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities are not included in the trip price.
Our Partner - Apumayo Expediciones
Austin Adventures is proudly offering this trip in conjunction with Apumayo Expediciones. Apumayo, a local Peruvian company based in the City of Cusco, was established in 1995. Specializing in adventure travel and non-conventional tourism, the company combines tourism with cultural, educational and natural history. Apumayo Expediciones describes itself as a commercial venture with a strong environmental and social agenda, developing and supporting many projects such as river clean ups and supporting Andean community projects. Apumayo looks to host many of their adventure trips with help from the local communities of Peru and relates them with Inca culture and the daily life of the Andean people. Austin Adventures and Apumayo look forward to providing you with top notch customer service in some of Peru's most beautiful and inspiring places.
Included in Trip Price
• Double occupancy rooms with private baths.
• All meals as listed in detailed daily itinerary (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner).
• Fully trained, bilingual, professional guide(s) and knowledgeable local partners.
• Bikes, helmets and other necessary equipment – all safe and well maintained.
• Vehicle support and land transportation during the trip.
• Austin Adventures T-shirt & luggage tags.
• Pre-departure and packing information.
• Incidental expenses such as taxes, dining and housekeeping gratuities, & local partner and expert gratuities.
• Entrance fees to attractions in Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu.
Not Included in the Trip Price
• Flights from Lima-Cusco-Lima (approximately $500 per person, depending on availability).
• Guide gratuities.
• Alcoholic beverages and related gratuities.
• Meals as not designated in daily itinerary.
• Pre-and post-trip accommodations and associated expenses.
• Air and land transportation to/from host cities.
• All types of personal insurance.
• Personal expenses.